Shopping and Fashion in Buenos Aires

With Labor Day today signaling the end of summer, and the brisk feeling of fall in the air, I've realized that I should make this post before all of the stores are modeling their fall fashions. (And perhaps I'm already too late!)

I'm not the type of traveler who has to shop wherever she goes. I enjoy shopping, but I would usually much rather spend my time sightseeing or trying new foods when traveling. So I surprised myself by doing a lot of shopping--most of it window shopping--when I was in Buenos Aires. Maybe it was because everyone dressed so fashionably and I felt like a scruffy backpacker. Maybe it was because I hadn't packed many winter clothes and quickly discovered that I needed them. Maybe it was because going into stores offered an escape from the winter chill without the obligation of buying something. Maybe it was because I had a lot of time on my own. Maybe it was because I frequently walked down the main shopping streets (especially Avenida Santa Fe). Whatever the reason, I spent a lot of time shopping in Buenos Aires and observing the styles of the people walking down the street. I even came to recognize some of the popular clothing chains in the country. Interestingly, unlike in Peru, clothing and shoes are not cheap in Argentina! Although leather goods and other products that Argentina is known for are cheaper and better quality for the price, other products are (unfortunately) comparable in price to the United States. In fact, I think prices at Zara, which has stores in the United States, were higher in Buenos Aires than in Boston.

Although I am by no means a fashionista, there are two fashion trends that I observed in Buenos Aires and would like to be the first to call attention to them, in the chance that they become popular here in the U.S. and I can claim that I predicted them. I think we may expect to see the following trends this fall and winter in the northern hemisphere...
  • Lace-up boots. Once a hipster look, they now seem to be a mainstream style. Since it was winter, leather boots were everywhere. The lace-up style was especially popular and has many variations (heels or no heels, a range of colors, different heights, simple to complicated styles). However, brown or black boots in a medium height--as picture above--seemed to be the most common. I hadn't seen much of that type of boot on women in the US--except on some hipsters--and it's not really my style, but I think we're going to see a lot of it this season. I almost wish I had bought a pair to be ahead of a trend for once, but instead I opted for these boots in tan, which I love and can't wait to wear as the weather cools down.
  • Nordic-print leggings and sweaters.

This may be an Argentine thing, but just in case, I bought a pair of leggings with a black-and-white snowflake print (slightly different from the reindeer style pictured below). They seem like cute, comfy tights! Females of all ages were wearing these tights as well as sweaters with similar prints.

Also, although this is not a prediction, I noticed that Argentines really like British-style clothing. There were many shops that looked like they belonged in London, not South America, but my friend explained to me that traditionally British styles are popular. (And he certainly dressed nicely and enjoyed British styles.) La Martina is one of the most well-known stores and they make the shirts for the national polo team. They look really cool...but are expensive!

Comments

Popular Posts